Sunday, February 5, 2012

Chronicles of an Up-and-Coming Band Ch. 1

So . . .

This is the story.

The band concept was conceived sometime around 2007-2008. I had previously been in a band that played mostly straight forward rock and metal (around 2005-2006), but when some other members and I tried to add some progressive elements to the music, the singer decided to pursue other interests.

We tried to keep things going for a while, but we weren't successful. I was then left with all this music and no one to play it with. Needless to say, that was not a nice place to find myself in.

I then decided to try and recruit other people to my cause, but that didn't work out either. Most of the bands in the area of the country that I live in are either Death Metal or some sort of Punk/Rock hybrid, and most of the people I talked to either didn't like the musical direction I was taking or had other reasons for not being able to commit.

That situation discouraged me for a while, but then I decided to keep pushing this project because I really felt good about the songs I had written. I figured that as long as I liked them, it really didn't matter if other people didn't.

Thus, Tainted Equilibrium was born.

I had to build a small studio from the ground up, and with the help of my cousin, we now have Attic Rec Music. It's not really a label (although I'm entertaining  the idea of turning it into one). Unfortunately, he has to go away for a few months out of the year for work purposes, and since he's the one with all the technical know-how, I'm not really able to record things properly.

Anyways, I now had another problem: I had no idea how to translate my ideas into music. I had enough guitar riffs, but no bass, drums, or additional arrangements to speak of. I then had to find a transcribing program so that I could write my riffs into notation. Many hours were spent doing that, and then I decided to add the other instruments in. Since I have no idea how to play the drums, that was a major obstacle; nevertheless, I gave it a try and came up with some basic tracks for the music I had.

After a couple of months, I had all the music written and ready to go. I was able to translate the notation into MIDI tracks and feed them into a DAW, so I only have to record the guitar parts.The problem I'm facing now is that I have no lyrics and no singer. It may seem like the Universe doesn't want me to release this music because of all the problems I've had along the way, but I'm not gonna give up.

The search for a singer continues. The only reason why I can't do the singing myself is because I have no talent for that.Believe me, if I could, I would have finished this project a long time ago. Hopefully somebody out there who hears the music will like it enough to contact me about this. In the meantime, I'll keep posting song previews, updates, and random thoughts here as well as in other websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment